Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And Now I'm Obsessed with Urban Chickens

So through a very convoluted chain that started with voting in the Well Fed Network Food Blog awards (one of my favorite bloggers is nominated), I suddenly found myself falling into the world of Urban Chicken Farming. Falling in love that is.

Okay, I think I may have mentioned this before, but I've always wanted to be a farmer. Like, you know that test they make you take in high school that's supposed to tell you what you should be when you grow up? Mine gave me two options - writer or farmer. Currently fulfilling the former, dreaming of fulfilling the latter. Noah and I often talk about retiring to some kind of goat/sheep farm and making cheese once we get bored with the entertainment industry (or, you know, filthy rich). But today I was reading about a bunch of Angelenos who are already doing the farm thing, in their urban backyards. And it made me really, really jealous.

I want a chicken coop! I want farm fresh eggs in my own back yard. I want adorable little chicks (which I learned here, don't stay chicks for long). How long until Noah and I can afford our own house? Because you know our animal-phobic landlords will not even let us think about chicken coop-ing it up here (they always deny our yearly request for a dog, so chickens would probably make them lose their shit).

I'm not one to root for the current economic downturn to continue, but if it means we can buy a house, and a chicken coop, sooner rather than later. Well...

No comments: