Thursday, October 30, 2008

Brussels Sprouts Are The Best

First off, please excuse the photo. Our real camera's battery was out of juice, so Noah took this picture on his Blackberry. I'm guessing the above photo isn't exactly the best way to persuade people that Brussels sprouts are, indeed, the best.

I honestly don't think I'd ever eaten them until a few years ago - both of my parents loathe (or I should say loathed) them. Until Brian made them for us one Thanksgiving. One bite and I was convinced, as were mom and dad. Perhaps it was the added bacon (or was it pancetta), because as we all know, PORK MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER. And Noah actually liked them, too, which is crazy since I still can't get him to let go of his broccoli phobia and broccoli is a million times less intimidating than Brussels sprouts. I guess that's how good a chef Brian is. Hmm, note to self - have Brian make something with broccoli next time we're in town...

Sunday I picked up some sprouts at the farmers market and had to make them, stat. They just looked that good. Plus Sunset magazine had a recipe for them in the October issue that I'd been dying to try. However, being the cooking tweaker that I am (does that make anyone else think I huff glue and bake cookies? I don't) I had to add in some of my favorite twists from Suzanne Goin's recipe in her "Sunday Suppers at Lucques" cookbook. Namely balsamic vinegar and some of the awesome bacon from the pork guy at the farmers market - think nice thick rashers, not that crappy stuff in the supermarket aisles.

It was perfect for the cool-ish evening (we've been having crisp nights, despite our 90 degree days in LA). Noah and I made it our main course, along with some leftover sourdough, fresh mozzarella, garden basil and tomatoes that we turned into a grilled panini. Yum!

Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan and Pine Nuts
Sunset magazine, October 2008

Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add 2 tsp. minced garlic and 3/4 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered; cook, stirring often, until softened, 8 minutes. Add 1/4 c. vegetable broth; cook until sprouts are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. toaste pine nuts. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Sprinke with grated parmesan cheese.

No comments: